Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Top Ten questions I had when I first started investigating the Mormon church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints)


 
1.       Why do they keep touching each other?! The first thing I was distracted by noticed was everyone seemed to scratch each other’s backs, necks, heads, arms, ears….. Till this day I am still distracted and creeped out by it.
I still haven't figured this one out.

2.       Why is every Bishop named Ric?
Not every Bishop is named Ric. The Bishopric consists of the bishop and his two counselors.

3.       Why is there carpet on the walls?
I still am not sure, but a friend once suggested because of all the little kids just waiting to dirty the walls is much better received by brown, hemp-ish material on the wall.

4.       Am I supposed to go to all three hours of church or are the classes after optional or just for certain people?
All three hours are for everyone.

5.       Why are people always crying?
Many people cry when they are feeling over-come by the Holy Ghost. In true Susi-fashion, I don't normally cry. I just get really cold.

6.       Do kids read a script before giving their testimonies because they all start out exactly the same?
No, but they do repeat things they hear, which explains the cyclical repetition.

7.       Am I ever going to learn what all these different acronyms mean?
Yup!

8.       Why do these people get together to eat steak? Do they only have steak  at the Stake Center or will there be chicken too?
The STAKE center is not a place to gather and eat steak. It is the largest chapel in the area that is used for big meetings.

9.       Institute- Do all the crazy people go there, and why do they keep telling me to go there?
No, it is an extension of the church for young adults to learn more about the Gospel and get to know other adults their age.

10.   What if I start choking on the bread? What if I spill the water all over? Everyone’s looking at me! Everyone’s looking at me! Don’t screw up!
Nobody is really looking at me, and if they are, oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.